Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Book Review - Girl, Wash Your Face

About a year and a half ago, it seemed like everyone was talking about this book, Girl, Wash Your Face. I would see it on social media, hear people talking about it, and stumble upon it when browsing the aisles in Target. Eventually, I was intrigued enough to add it to my Amazon wishlist. Some time later I purchased it. Then for months, it sat on my bookshelf. Each time I finished a book, I would look at it sitting on my bookshelf and decide the time was not right. I did not want to read a self-help book. I was doing fine. Or there was another book intriguing me more to read it.


The last several weeks have been a struggle for me. Things have not seemed to be going my way. I was feeling a lot like I was taking one step forward and two steps back. I was putting in the work and not seeing results. I was putting myself out there only to be rejected. I was doing my best to help people and just getting yelled at and told I'm horrible. Needless to say, I was left feeling beaten down and defeated. I was not giving up. It's not who I am. I was just tired.

When I finished reading The Flight Girls (see my review HERE), it was time to decide what to read next. I looked at my bookshelf, and Girl, Wash Your Face stuck out to me. I still was not sure if it was what I wanted to read, but I picked it up, flipped it open, and it landed on a chapter titled "The Lie: I'm Not Good Enough". It was a lie I was currently telling myself in various areas of my life, so it felt like fate that I flipped to that page.


At 220 pages, Girl, Wash Your Face is a quick read. Rachel Hollis writes in such a way that it feels like one of your friends is sitting with you telling you her experiences to help you get through tough times. Like me, I am sure many of you are guilty of being hard yourself, being your worst critic. Rachel is right there with you telling you she is the same, she knows exactly how you feel, and these are the things she recommends you do to stop beating yourself up and start caring for yourself. Become your number one cheerleader, your top advocate.

There is nothing in this book that was particularly mind-blowing. Nothing that I have not been told or realized at some point or another in my life. However, there are so many things you need to hear over and over again, and from multiple people for it to really stick. Or in some cases, it sticks, but when something comes up to derail you, it's hard to get back on the right track. That negative voice in your head takes over, and it is a strong voice.

This book is a great read when your mindset is more negative than positive. When you feel like no matter what you do, it's not right, not good enough, not making a difference. This book will be your best gal pal telling you she knows exactly what you're going through, she's been there, and she's there to help lift you back up to be that marvelous woman you are.

I picked this book up off my shelf at the right moment. Exactly at the time when I needed it. To anyone having a rough time and feeling like each day is struggle, I recommend you pick up this book and let Rachel be your supportive friend. She'll help put right back on the right track to being amazing.

Rating: 3 stars out of 5
When to read: When you're feeling down and out and need a lift

No comments:

Post a Comment