Friday, August 7, 2020

Once a Bookworm, Always a Bookworm

Reading has always been one of my favorite hobbies. Since childhood, I have been in love with books. I was that kid who would stay up late in bed with a flashlight reading. When I was home sick from school, I didn't want a stack of my favorite movies to watch. I wanted a stack of books from the library to lay in bed and read. 

As the years passed, my love of books never changed. To this day, if you leave me in a bookstore unsupervised, I could get lost in there for hours. The only thing that has changed is time. Often demanding school schedules and work schedules would make it difficult to find time to read, and even those nights spent reading before bed were short lived as I would soon crash from a long day. 

Although many of us, myself included, have had a lot to complain about this year, there are still so many things for which I am grateful. One of those things is having an abundance of time to read and read and read some more. Since mid-March, I have been able to read 30 books. Some were new, some had been on my to-read list for years, and some were old favorites when I was needing an escape back to a world I already knew and loved. 


Most recently, I finished reading The Guest List by Lucy Foley. It's a book that hit my radar after seeing it mentioned on Reese's Book Club's Instagram. I'll admit that, for me, it started out slow and took a while to get into it. I think this was mostly due to it being a book with multiple POVs making it difficult to follow exactly who is who and keep track of the progressing storyline. However, as I started to get a handle on each character, the pace picked up along with the intensity. Although I found some elements of the book predictable, it still hit me with some unexpected twists and turns. Overall, The Guest List is a fun, quick read that is perfect for a relaxing weekend at the beach.

As for the rest of the books I have read over the last few months, I actually keep track of everything I read on Goodreads because I am that nerdy, and I also think it's a wonderful place to keep track of books I want to read and what my friends are reading. Everything I have read since mid-March:

Failure is Not an Option by Gene Kranz
The Justice Game by Randy Singer
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
Year Zero by Rob Reid
Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Lethal White by Robert Galbraith
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Five Presidents: My Extraordinary Journey with Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford by Clint Hill
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins
The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon
Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis
Lifeguard by James Patterson
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Home Before Dark by Riley Sager
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
In Five Years by Rebecca Serle
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
The Guest List by Lucy Foley


Yes, the last few months have been rough and stressful, but I am grateful for the silver linings during this time such as reenergizing my reading time to full power. I have finally started to make a dent in my To Read List (although it has grown too) and for that I am thankful. When things start to return more to normal, whenever that may be, it is my goal to stay on top of reading and not letting it fall to the wayside like it has in the past.

What about you? Do you enjoy reading as much as I do? What's your favorite book you've read so far this year? If not, what is your silver lining during this global pandemic? Comment below, and as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment